Digital Transformation and the Leadership Mandate
I have read several articles recently about projects designed to teach digital systems to think more like humans. For example one article was about teaching chatbot systems to communicate empathy to humans. It seems ironic that we are developing digital systems to think more like humans, while at the same time much of my work is focused on teaching humans how to think more like and about digital systems and their capabilities. Let me explain.
Competitive battles in most industries today are increasingly centered on digital technologies and digital strategies, and as a result, it benefits leaders to have a deep understanding of how digital systems work, and how the impact of new digital innovations will change the behaviors of customers, competitors and partners.
A few of the areas that I think leaders should really understand are:
1. Simple programming concepts and computer logic
2. Small World, social networks and swarming theories
3. Industry and technology data exchange standards
4. Platforms, Cloud computing, Containers and System thinking
5. Internet and network architecture and design
6. Big Data and real-time analytics
7. GPS, GIS and Mapping
8. Mobile and wireless technologies
9. Sensors, embedded wireless devices and IoT
10. Data and device security and authentication
11. Databases and data lifecycle management
12. Online catalogs, shopping carts and digital payments
13. Digital marketing, personalization and contextual relevance
14. Digital content and delivery: websites, blogs, videos, podcasts, social media (e.g. Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)
15. Robotics, automation, AI and machine learning
16. Virtual and augmented reality
There are many more items that could be added to this short list, but I hope you get the idea. If we can agree that digital technologies are fundamental to our future success, then we must understand them, or at least their capabilities.
To read more about how digital transformation is impacting strategies read this article 15 Rules for Winning During the Age of Digital Transformation.
Kevin R Benedict
The Center for Digital Intelligence™
Member of the Association of Professional Futurists
Mobile: +1 208 473 1516